These fish taco’s are to die for! I was never much for a fish taco until I travelled to Mexico and tried one there and I must say I have been in love with them ever since. Though I am yet to find a fish taco to match the one’s I had experienced over there these do come mighty close. The taco mixture is so light and refreshing and just leaves you wanting more!
Cooking/Prep Time: 20mins
- 2 Dory fish fillets (cut in 1” chunks) *any white fish is ok
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3-6 butter or cos lettuce leaves
- ½ red pepper (diced)
- 4-6 spring onions(diced)
- ½ mango (diced)
- ½ avocado (diced)
Sauce (optional or use your own)
- ½ cup mayo (you can make your own here)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- dash of chili pepper
Sauce – In advance mix together mayo, lime juice, oregano, cumin powder and cayenne powder.
Taco mixture – In a small bowl mix the red pepper, spring onions, mango and avocado together and leave to the side.
Fish Chunks –
- Place the coconut flour and the egg into two separate large bowls.
- In the coconut flour add garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cumin powder and mix thoroughly.
- Coat the fish with the egg by dipping each piece into the mixture and then dip them into the separate coconut flour mixture so as to coat each piece of fish.
- Filled up a large frying pan with coconut oil (approx. 1/4 inch deep) and placed it on high heat.
- Then carefully dropped the coated fish chunks into the oil and fry them on each side till a light golden brown.
- Once cooked place on some paper towel to drain excess oil and then serve.
- Then, simply prepare your tacos by putting some of the mix into the butter cup/ cos lettuce leaves and top with the fish. (You can be creative and add anything else you think may taste great on there!)