Take your pumpkin soup to the next level with this delicious recipe. It is packed with loads of healthy ingredients that you wouldn’t normally put together in a soup. The combinations might seem a little odd but it’s these odd combinations that make this soup so amazing and I can guarantee this is one that the family will rave about!
Cooking Time: 45mins
(inspired by civilizedcavemancooking.com)
- 1 large butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 pound raw bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 175°C/350°F.
- Toss pumpkin and carrots with the coconut oil so they are covered with the oil.
- Place in a baking dish and roast uncovered for 35 minutes or until tender.
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon and set aside for the garnish.
- Add the onion and apple to the pot and sauté in bacon fat over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted butternut pumpkin, carrots, chicken broth, and coconut milk to stock pot and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Remove from heat.
- Use an immersion blender to blend your soup or working in several small batches, blend soup in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Return to stock pot, bring to a simmer and season with salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Serve soup in large bowls garnished with bacon! Enjoy.
Photo thanks to Lyndon Dalton