The perfect soup for this cold winter weather! Chicken soup has always been a favourite of mine and this recipe is one of the best I have tasted. I cook this regularly and I often substitute the water for Chicken bone broth, but it’s not necessary. I actually enjoy this more after it sits in the fridge overnight and reheat rather than straight off the stove. Either I am sure you will fall in love with this recipe! Thanks to Eileen from PaleoSimplified.com for the recipe. I have slightly changed it but not much.
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Prep time: 10 mins
- 4 Large Chicken Thigh Fillets on the bone with skin removed
- 1 onion quartered and then sliced into 1/4″ slices
- 2 celery stalks, rinsed and sliced into 1/4″ pieces
- 1 carrots, peeled, and sliced into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 turnip, peeled & cubed
- 1 parsnip, peeled & cubed
- 1 bunch fresh dill, rinsed
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 250ml Chicken Bone Broth
- 250g of baby spinach
- Heat Olive Oil in a large heavy stockpot. On medium heat, put in chicken and lightly brown on top and bottom. Remove from pot and add onions.
- Season onions with salt and pepper and cook until tender and lightly golden. Return chicken to the pot and add the Chicken Bone Broth and/or enough water to cover chicken, and then about 1″ higher.
- Bring to a boil and add all the vegetables including the dill. Bring to a simmer and cook with the pot half covered for about 30 minutes (or until all the vegetable are fork tender).
- Turn off the heat.
- Remove the chicken and let cool until you are able to handle it with your hands. Remove the dill.
- Shred the chicken and return it to the pot. Season the broth with salt and pepper. Add the spinach. The heat from the soup will cook the spinach. If you like you can put some sliced avocado on top……AMAZING!